Sustainable Travel Finland & EcoCompass
Hanaholmen has been granted the Sustainable Travel Finland and EcoCompass certificates, which demonstrate a commitment to environmental work and the goal of constantly reducing Hanaholmen´s environmental impact.
The Sustainable Travel Finland program is a sustainable tourism development path and a label, providing travel trade and travelers an easy way to identify a tourism actor that takes sustainability seriously.
The requirements of the EcoCompass certificate cover aspects such as energy and water consumption, waste management, sustainable procurement and the use of chemicals.
Our responsible environmental policy is reflected in, for example, the following choices:
- we have switched from oil heating to district heating, which is produced with 100 % renewable fuels or waste heat
- a solar power plant, which during the summer months produces up to 15 % of the electricity needed
- our cleaning products from a Finnish supplier (Kiilto) have the Nordic Swan Ecolabel
- our food concept utilises organic products (e.g. all our flour and eggs, organic lamb) as well as Finnish mushrooms and berries, and involves cooperation with local producers (e.g. certified organic Bosgård meat from natural pastures)
- our own fisherman who brings fresh fish to the restaurant from the surrounding waters
- we use a Finnish service provider for washing our hotel and restaurant textiles
- we have significantly reduced the amount of wastepaper by changing our printing and archiving methods and utilising electronic systems
- we use pecu switches for our outdoor lighting and have increased the use of motion detectors in our indoor lighting
- all our outdoor lights and most of our indoor lights are LEDs (for example, 95% at restaurant PLATS)
With EcoCompass, we are also committed to developing and improving our environmental work. Our future development projects include further reducing the amount of wasted food.