Gallery Hanaholmen is open every day from 10 am to 8 pm. No entrance fee.
The artists’ associations Artists O and Fiber Art Sweden will organize a joint exhibition in the Hanaholmen gallery in the autumn of 2021. A total of 15 artists, six from Finland and nine from Sweden, will participate in the exhibition titled Länk – Link – Linkki. Members of both associations are active in visual arts, design and crafts and all have a strong connection to the material, which often defines the works’ concrete and conceptual content. The aim of the exhibition is to create a new network for artists in art and design between Finland and Sweden.
Six artists or working groups from Finland and six from Sweden will take part in the exhibition. The Swedish artists were chosen by invitation among the members of Fiber Art Sweden (FAS) by Lotte Nilsson-Välimaa and Maria Sandstig, who are both members of FAS. Subsequently, all selected artists or working groups from Sweden were invited to choose a working partner from Finland based on a portfolio call that had been organized for the members of Artists O. The artists create the thematic content for the exhibition together, as a group of 15 and six working couples or groups.
Artists or working groups participating in the exhibition Länk – Link – Linkki:
- Working group Hugger-Mugger with Maria Hägglund, Catarina W. Källström and Elinor Ström (SE) – Piia Lieste (FI)
- Sonja Löfgren-Birch (SE, FI) – Veera Tamminen (FI)
- Working group Lotte Nilsson-Välimaa & Inger Bergström (SE) – Paavo Halonen (FI)
- Gunnel Pettersson (SE) – Elina Laitinen (FI)
- Maria Sandstig (SE) – Virpi Vesanen-Laukkanen (FI)
- Ellen Skafvenstedt (SE) – Riikka Peltola (FI)
Artists O (Taiteilijat O ry), a non-profit association for artists in the field of applied arts, was founded in 2006 and is a member organization of Ornamo. The purpose of the association is to increase knowledge about industrial arts and crafts, especially the so-called material-based art, and to strengthen its position in the field of contemporary art.
Fiber Art Sweden (FAS) was founded in 1998 and is a network of artists working with textile means, methods and practices. FAS promotes discussion and exchange of ideas, in the textile interests field. Through its activities FAS continually and consistently seeks new places and context in the form of exhibition curating, conversation series and workshops.
The exhibition in the Hanaholmen gallery will serve as a pilot phase for the collaboration. The goal is for the exhibition project to continue in Sweden.
We arrange art workshops in Finnish in connection with the exhibition:
- 2 October 2021 at 10-12.15 Luovuuden lauantai: Frottage
- 9 October 2021 at 10-12.15 Luovuuden lauantai: Muotokuvia yllättävistä materiaaleista
- 30 October 2021 at 10-12.15 Luovuuden lauantai: Tattarityynytyöpaja
- 13 November 2021 at 10-12.15 Luovuuden lauantai: Mielikuvitusmaisema kollaasitekniikalla
The exhibition is arranged with the support of:
Arts Promotion Centre Finland (Taike)
The Swedish-Finnish Cultural Foundation
The Swedish Cultural Foundation in Finland
The Finnish Cultural Foundation
Image: Paavo Halonen: Love Me Tender, 2020.