– Working Together for a Greener European Future
Austria, Finland and Sweden entered the European Union in 1995 during the fourth round of enlargement.
In the early membership phase, the Lisbon Strategy set as aim to make the EU the most competitive and dynamic knowledge-based economy in the world by 2010. It was succeeded by the Europe 2020 strategy, an agenda for growth and jobs for the next decade emphasising smart, sustainable and inclusive growth. In December 2019, the European Commission presented the European Green Deal for making the EU’s economy sustainable by turning climate and environmental challenges into opportunities across all policy areas. The Green Deal provides a roadmap with actions to boost the efficient use of resources by moving to a clean, circular economy and stop climate change, revert biodiversity loss and cut pollution. Meeting the objectives will require the mobilization of all societal sectors in order to ensure a viable EU for the next decades.
This seminar is arranged to mark the 25th anniversary of Austria’s, Finland’s and Sweden’s EU membership and will have a strong focus on the future of the EU and the European Green Deal by providing perspectives from the three countries. It is organized in co-operation between the Austrian Embassy, the Swedish Embassy, the Finnish Ministry for Foreign Affairs and Hanaholmen – Swedish-Finnish Cultural Centre.
Marika Krook, well-known classical singer and musical star, and Maija Weitz, pianist with an international concert activity in the field of chamber music and lied accompaniment, will perform songs by Jean Sibelius, Ralf Gothoni, Ture Rangström and Robert Stolz.
Date: Friday 4.12.2020 at 10:00 – 11:30 EET
Moderator: Juha Jokela, Programme Director, Finnish Institute of International Affairs
10.00 Opening Words
- Gunvor Kronman, CEO, Hanaholmen – Swedish-Finnish Cultural Centre
10.03 High-level Introductory session with Video Messages from:
- Karoline Edtstadler, Federal Minister for the EU and Constitution, Austria
- Tytti Tuppurainen, Minister for European Affairs and Ownership Steering, Finland
- Hans Dahlgren, Minister for EU Affairs, Sweden
Jean Sibelius: Demanten på marssnön
Ralf Gothoni, arr.: Finnish folk song ”Minun kultani kaunis on”
10.20 Keynote Session: Perspectives on the Green Deal from Austria, Finland and Sweden
- Georg Rebernig, Managing Director, Austrian Umweltbundesamt
- Mari Pantsar, Director, Carbon Neutral Circular Economy, The Finnish Innovation Fund Sitra
- Nina Ekelund, Executive Director, Haga Initiative
Wrap-up of the keynote presentations
- Marco Siddi, Senior Fellow, Finnish Institute of International Affairs
Robert Stolz: Jadja´s song ”Fern im schönen Polenland”
11.10 Concluding Conversation on the Future of the EU and the Green Deal
- H.E. Maximilian Hennig, Ambassador to Finland, Austria
- H.E. Nicola Clase, Ambassador to Finland, Sweden
- Jan Wahlberg, Ambassador for Climate Change, Ministry for Foreign Affairs, Finland
Ture Rangström: Den enda stunden
Additional information: Programme Director Victor Andersson, victor.andersson(at)hanaholmen.fi
We will be sending the webinar link in the afternoon of December 3rd 2020 to everyone who register for the event.
The event is free of charge, but you need to register in advance.
Please do so no later than 2.12.2020.
Register through the link below or here.