Welcome to the inaugural event!
Nordic Security Dialogue –
Integrated Security in the Northern Baltic
The Nordic and Baltic countries have faced significant challenges and a changing security environment over the past years – responding to a pandemic, to hybrid operations, and Russian all-out war in Ukraine bringing Finland and Sweden to seek NATO membership. Volatility and crisis has brought security policy to the top of the agenda, yet structures to deal with these transformative events facing our democracies remain partially stale.
Join us in the first Nordic Security Dialogue to discuss new approaches to improving comprehensive security, coordinating responses and strengthening security cooperation in a Nordic-Baltic context. The seminar, which will bring together policy experts from Finland, Sweden, and Estonia, is hosted by Elisabeth Rehn – Bank of Ideas and Hanaholmen – the Swedish-Finnish Cultural Centre, in cooperation with the Swedish-Finnish Cultural Foundation and The Ulkopolitist.
The seminar will be accompanied by the release of a research-based study from Bank of Ideas regarding the comprehensive security landscape in Finland, Sweden and Estonia.
13:00–13:10 Welcome to the Nordic Security Dialogue 2023
- Elisabeth Rehn, Minister
- Victor Andersson, Programme Director, Hanaholmen
13:10–13:30 Keynote Speech on Leadership on Comprehensive Security
Lauri Tierala, State Secretary to the Minister of Foreign Affairs and the Minister of Defence
13:30–13:40 “Integrated Security in the Northern Baltic” Study Findings and Recommendations
Kaisa-Maria Tölli, Researcher, Member of the Board, Elisabeth Rehn Bank of Ideas
13:40–14:30 Reflections on the Nordic-Baltic Security Relationship & the Study
- Kristi Raik, Deputy Director and Head of Foreign Policy Programme, International Centre for Defence and Security (ICDS)
- Mikael Wigell, Research Director, Finnish Institute of International Affairs (FIIA)
- Robert Egnell, Vice-Chancellor and Professor of Leadership and Command and Control, Swedish National Defence University
- Moderator: Ida-Susanna Pöllänen, Contributor, The Ulkopolitist
14:30–15:00 Coffee & Networking Break
15:00–16:00 A New Comprehensive Security in the Northern Baltic after NATO Accession?
- Janne Kuusela, Director General, Defence Policy Department, Ministry of Defence of Finland
- Erkki Tori, National Security Advisor to the Prime Minister of Estonia
- Johan Berggren, State Secretary to the Minister of Civil Defence of Sweden
- Moderator: Minna Ålander, Research Fellow, Finnish Institute of International Affairs
16:00–16:15 Keynote Speech – Closing Remarks
- Hasit Thankey, Head – Enablement and Resilience Section in NATO’s Defence Policy and Planning Division
16:15–17:15 Drinks & Mingle
Follow the event online through the link below:
The event is free of charge, but you need to register in advance.
Additional information: Victor Andersson, victor.andersson(at)hanaholmen.fi